If you want to find a cheap eBook reader, then you shall choose Kindle. It is the only answer many questions. It is the best and cheapest ebook reader in the world. Before I may not have the right to claim it, but now I have after my wife bought one from Amazon. When the wife want to buy some electronic devices, she will ask her husband to research and help her to find the right one. Just like many husbands, I take this responsibility after my wife want to have an ebook reader. I heard about Kindle before, but there are lots of confusion on Kindle like “is it a tablet” or “is it the same as Kindle Fire”. I think many people will have this kind of problems. I will share my opinions on kindle and I hope it will help you to understand more about Kindle before you decide to buy.
Kindle is Not a Tablet
Kindle is not a tablet. It is a simple device which gives you a better reading experience on device. Kindle is designed only for reading. It has a touch screen. But its touch screen display reads more like real paper. Kindle is invented to enable you reading everywhere. Different from paperback books, it is light to fit in your pocket. So you can bring thousands of books along with you. Kindle has long battery life. With one fully charged, the battery can last weeks. If you like reading, Kindle is the best for you.
What Different Between Kindle and Tablet
Kindle looks like a tablet, but it is not a tablet. There are lots of difference between Kindle and tablets. Their purpose is different. Kindle is mainly for reading, but tablet is for entertainment, though you can also read books on tablets. A tablet has more functions than Kindle. For example, you can listen music on tablet, watch movie on tablet, play games on tablet, or chat with your friends on tablet. But you cannot do these stuffs on Kindle. Here, I list the main difference between Kindle and tablets.
- Kindle is much cheaper than tablets
- Kindle is specifically designed for readers.
- Kindle has built-in dictionary. You can use it when you are reading. For all tablets, you need to download dictionary apps by yourself. If you need the dictionsary, you need to exit your reading app first.
- Kindle has a glare free screen, which makes reading like on a real paper.
- Kindle uses actual ink particles technology to create text similar to what we can see in a physical book.
- Kindle has longer battery life than tablets. It can last 4 weeks with one fully charging.
Even though there are lots of difference between Kindle and tablets, you can still find something that both of them can do. Both Kindle and tablets have thousands of free book titles to choose. Both of them has built-in wifi capability, so you can download the books directly from stores. Except Kindle Format 8 (AZW3) and Kindle (AZW) format, both of them support Txt, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively, HTML, Doc, Docx, jpeg, gif, png. One important thing, both Kindle and tablets have webkit-based browser.
Now I will talk about what tablets can do, but Kindle cannot. The list will be huge and I will only list some important features available on normal tablets.
- You can listen music on tablets;
- You can watch HD movies on tablets;
- You can play games on tablets;
- You can chat with friends on tablets;
- Most of tablets has camera;
- All tablets has full color screen, but Kindle only has 16-level gray scale screen. You can only see black and which on Kindle.
- Kindle doesn’t have light but all other tablets have. So you cannot read with Kindle in dark.
Kindle vs Kindle Fire
If you decide to buy a Kindle for reading, you may be confused by another Amazon tablet Kindle Fire. Kindle Fire is the alternative ebook reader from Amazon. After 2014, all Kindle Fire products are renamed as Fire, or you can call them Fire tablets. Fire tablets are for those who want a tablet instead of simple ebook reader. They are fully functional tablets, with e-book reader capability. However, Kindle fire tablets have all the advantages and disadvantages I mentioned above. For a reader, the most serious disadvantage of Kindle Fire (tablets) is the battery life. Fire tablets battery can only last for 8 hours, but Kindle’s battery can last for 4 weeks. For more information, you can check this Kindle Fire tablet review.