If you want to find a cheap eBook reader, then you shall choose Kindle. It is the only answer many questions. It is the best and cheapest ebook reader in the world. Before I may not have the right to claim it, but now I have after my wife bought one from Amazon. When the wife want to buy some electronic devices, she will ask her husband to research and help her to find the right one. Just like many husbands, I take this responsibility after my wife want to have an ebook reader. I heard about Kindle before, but there are lots of confusion on Kindle like “is it a tablet” or “is it the same as Kindle Fire”. I think many people will have this kind of problems. I will share my opinions on kindle and I hope it will help you to understand more about Kindle before you decide to buy.
Kindle is Not a Tablet
Kindle is not a tablet. It is a simple device which gives you a better reading experience on device. Kindle is designed only for reading. It has a touch screen. But its touch screen display reads more like real paper. Kindle is invented to enable you reading everywhere. Different from paperback books, it is light to fit in your pocket. So you can bring thousands of books along with you. Kindle has long battery life. With one fully charged, the battery can last weeks. If you like reading, Kindle is the best for you.
What Different Between Kindle and Tablet
Kindle looks like a tablet, but it is not a tablet. There are lots of difference between Kindle and tablets. Their purpose is different. Kindle is mainly for reading, but tablet is for entertainment, though you can also read books on tablets. A tablet has more functions than Kindle. For example, you can listen music on tablet, watch movie on tablet, play games on tablet, or chat with your friends on tablet. But you cannot do these stuffs on Kindle. Here, I list the main difference between Kindle and tablets.
- Kindle is much cheaper than tablets
- Kindle is specifically designed for reading.
- Kindle has built-in dictionary. You can use it when you are reading. For all tablets, you need to download dictionary apps by yourself. If you need the dictionsary, you need to exit your reading app first.
- Kindle has a glare free screen, which makes reading like on a real paper.
- Kindle uses actual ink particles technology to create text similar to what we can see in a physical book.
- Kindle has longer battery life than tablets. It can last 4 weeks with one fully charging.
Even though there are lots of difference between Kindle and tablets, you can still find something that both of them can do. Both Kindle and tablets have thousands of free book titles to choose. Both of them has built-in wifi capability, so you can download the books directly from stores. Except Kindle Format 8 (AZW3) and Kindle (AZW) format, both of them support Txt, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively, HTML, Doc, Docx, jpeg, gif, png. One important thing, both Kindle and tablets have webkit-based browser.
Now I will talk about what tablets can do, but Kindle cannot. The list will be huge and I will only list some important features available on normal tablets.
- You can listen music on tablets;
- You can watch HD movies on tablets;
- You can play games on tablets;
- You can chat with friends on tablets;
- Most of tablets has camera;
- All tablets has full color screen, but Kindle only has 16-level gray scale screen. You can only see black and which on Kindle.
- Kindle doesn’t have light but all other tablets have. So you cannot read with Kindle in dark. (Some kindle has built-in backlight, now you can also read with Kindle in dark. See below.
Looking for Best e-Reader 2017
If you are searching for the best e-reader, I can sure you that Kindle is the best. It is only deigned for reading, no other distractions. Without unnecessary features, Kindle is afford for everyone who want to read. Here are some reasons why Kindle is best for reading:
- The unique e-ink technology makes you Kindle’s screen reading like real paper. Different from tablets reflective screen, Kindle does not have screen glare, even under bright sunlight.
- Kindle is designed for reading, its battery can last for weeks, not days.
- Kindle is lighter than a paperback, especially when you take several books.
- Kindle is only designed for reading. Therefore, there is no distractions such as email, text messages or social updates notifications when you are reading.
- Kindle provides thousands of titles from new releases and bestsellers.
- You can purchase very cheap books in Kindle, from over a million titles at $2.99 or less
5 Types of Kindles in 2017, which one is suitable for me?
I don’t like thousand words buying guide, I guess neither you do. In 2017, Amazon prepare 5 types of Kindles for us to choose. They try their best to meet every reader’s needs, but I will try my best to help you figure out the most suitable one in 5 minutes.
|Kindle||Kindle Paperwhite||Kindle Voyage||All-New Kindle Oasis||Kindle for Kids|
|View on Amazon||View on Amazon||View on Amazon||View on Amazon||View on Amazon|
|The normal kindle||The normal kindle with:
The normal kindle with:
||The normal kindle with:
What’s the Best Kindle for Kids 2017
If you are looking for an e-reader for your kids, the Kindle is the best. Amazon makes a special designed kindle for kids. The Kindle for Kids ships with the latest Kindle e-reader, along with 5 different color covers. For sure, you will find the suitable one for your boys and girls. To help you easy to find out the different between Kindle for Kid and normal Kindle, here I make a list to help you figure it out:
|Kindle for Kids||Kindle|
|Come with cover to protect the e-reader||No cover, but you can purchase separately|
|Come with Kindle FreeTime app, you can set reading goals and track progress||No FreeTime App|
|Only for reading, without any other features||Besides reading, you can use kindle to browse website or even listen music (some types support)|
|No backlight, kids will sleep when lights are turned off||For adult, we can choose Kindle with built-in adjustable light|
|Important! 2-year worry-free guarantee: if your kids break it, return it and Amazon will replace it for free. No questions asked!||1-year limited warranty and service|
Kindle vs Kindle Fire Tablet
If you decide to buy a Kindle for reading, you may be confused by another Amazon tablet Kindle Fire. Kindle Fire is the alternative ebook reader from Amazon. After 2014, all Kindle Fire products are renamed as Fire, or you can call them Fire tablets. Fire tablets are for those who want a tablet instead of simple ebook reader. They are fully functional tablets, with e-book reader capability. However, Kindle fire tablets have all the advantages and disadvantages I mentioned above. For a reader, the most serious disadvantage of Kindle Fire (tablets) is the battery life. Fire tablets battery can only last for 8 hours, but Kindle’s battery can last for 4 weeks. For more information, you can check this Kindle Fire tablet review.